Red velvet cake lends itself beautifully to Valentine’s Day desserts. Make the cake in the form of a jelly roll filled with rich cream!
1/2 c Shortening
1 ts Vanilla
1 ts Salt
2 1/2 c Flour, all purpose; sifted
-2 to 3 times
1 ts Baking soda
1 1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Food coloring, red
2 tb Cocoa
1 c Buttermilk
1 tb Vinegar
Whipped Cream, sweetened
1. Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs and beat 1 minute.
2. Add salt, beat. Add vanilla and coloring to buttermilk. Alternate adding flour and milk mixtures to batter.
3. Combine soda and vinegar in cup and add to cake batter. Bake in a lined jelly roll pan on 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Remove warm cake carefully from the pan using the lining to lift it out. Spread whipped cream and roll up the cake. Dust with icing sugar.
5. Chill and slice into wheels to serve.