It’s no good planning a wedding if you haven’t even popped the big question yet. Here are 50 of the best ways to let that special person know that you want to marry her/him. Then you will really have a story to tell to family and friends.
1. Do it the old fashioned way. Get down on one knee with a rose clenched in your teeth and the ring in your hand just before you are about to eat dessert in a busy restaurant.
2. Have a waiter bring you a small cake with the ring inside of it. (Be careful that she doesn’t swallow it).
3. Take her/him to the theatre and ask the stage manager if he will ask her/him to marry you after the final curtain. This is the perfect ending to a perfect evening.
4. Turn up at her/his office in the middle of the afternoon armed with a red rose, a bottle of champagne and a glass with the ring in it.
5. Write ‘will you marry me’ — her/his name in chalk on the street out side your apartment in big enough letters so that she/he will notice it.
6. Phone up your local radio station and get them to pop the question for you over the air waves at a time that you know she/he will be listening. Then dedicate a song to her/him.
7. Gather all your friends and family around for drinks and pop the question then.
8. Gather friends and family outside your his/her home waving banners with the words will you marry me on them. (Make sure that they get the right house).
9. Send a singing telegram to her/his workplace singing your love and urge to marry her/him. Then walk in just after he popped the question.
10. Create a web page all about your life together. Photos, places that mean a lot to you etc.. Announce your love by proposing, send him the web address and wait for his/her reply and when accepted you can then send the address to friends and family.
11. Wrap a large box and fill with smaller boxes all wrapped the last box that she will come to will be the smallest with the ring inside. Or alternatively wrap a large box and fill with those tiny foam pieces and let her look for the small box inside.
12. Cut the bottom out of a very large box then wrap it. Take it to her place of work and ask one of her colleague’s to go get her telling her that there is a large parcel for her. Meanwhile you climb in from the bottom and when she unwraps it jump out with the ring in hand and ask her to make an honest man of you.
13. Take her/him away for the weekend and when you are on your last day pop the question.
14. Get up extra early and prepare her/him breakfast in bed. Cook his/her favorite meal with a red rose and a bottle of champagne a kiss to wake him/her and then declare your love.
15. Scatter rose petals all over her bed and wrap the ring and tell her that you have gotten her a gift to show how much you love her and when she opens it tell her that you want to spend the rest of your life with her.
16. Cook your loved one a romantic meal and place a note around a candle asking her/him to marry you then get her/him to read it. Click here for tips on planning the perfect romantic dinner.
17. Give your girlfriend a foot massage and place the ring on her little toe.
18. Phone your loved one at work and get them to meet you at the place where you first met each other. Take a long a bottle of champagne and two glasses then do the deed.
19. Bake him a cake and write on top of it Will you marry me?
20. Take out a full page ad in a paper that you know your loved one reads regularly and be close by when he/she reads it.
21. Buy your loved one a watch and have it inscribed “marry me.”
22. Pour her a glass of wine with the ring in the bottom of it and when she says yes get out the champagne.
23. Go for a picnic together then pop the question.
24. Propose at Christmas by hanging the ring from the top of the tree instead of a star or a fairy.
25. If you’re dining in a fancy restaurant, ask the waiter/waitress to write, “Will you marry me?” in chocolate sauce around the rim of his/her dessert plate.
26. Run her a bath with scented candles, rose petals and rubber duck with the ring tied around it’s neck.
27. Serve her oysters in bed with the ring inside the shell.
28. Write a note asking your other to marry you, place it inside a bottle. Take her/him to the beach when he/she is in the water slip the bottle in and ask them to open it to see what it says.
29. Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Climb on top of him/her and wait for the yes, yes, yes.
30. Leave a trail of notes fro your partner to follow and when he/she reaches the end you will be standing there naked with a bow wrapped around you with the words “Will you marry me?” on.
31. Scratch your proposal into the frost on his or her car’s windshield.
32. Take your partner to the beach and write “Will you marry me?” in big letters in the sand.
33. Take him/her on a sail boat up a river and pop the question.
34. Leave the ring on her pillow a long with a note and go to work. She will probably get there before you do waiting with arms out stretched.
35. Take her/him up in a hot air balloon with a bottle of champagne and announce that’ll you’ll jump if she/he doesn’t marry you.
36. Take her/him to see his/her favorite band and ask one of the stage crew if they will pop the question for you.
37. Plan a treasure hunt. Set the clues in place and when he/she gets to the last clue you will be standing there with champagne and a proposal they can’t refuse.
38. Hire a skywriter to spell your proposal on high.
39. Hire a plane to fly a banner with your “Marry me (insert name here)” message written on it. Take him/her somewhere open and point to the sky.
40. Sneak in to her home and fill it to the rafters with flowers and in the middle sit a teddy bear holding the ring and a note asking her to marry you.
41. Propose in French the language of love.
42. Play Hangman and have the phrase be “Marry Me.”
43. Throw her/him a surprise party inviting friends and family and then propose.
44. Send her/him 4 balloons with the words “Will you marry me?” written on them.
45. Write her/him a story about your relationship. Almost like a diary with dates if possible. Then end it with the date you are going to give it to him/her telling how you proposed and that the story can’t be ended until you have the answer.
46. If it’s snowing write “Will you marry me?” in it.
47. If you are brave enough get a tattoo done with “Will you marry me?” but only if you are sure that he/she is the right one and once he/she has accepted finish it off with the date of your engagement and marriage.
48. Take him to see his favorite football team playing and get the commentator to ask him to marry you.
49. Ask him/her to marry you by writing it on the bathroom mirror.
50. For the last one send your loved one a coffin (he he he) only joking…